This bacon, mushroom and pesto pasta takes 22 minutes from start to finish. It has fresh spinach, basil and parmesan and can easily be made vegetarian.
This bacon, mushroom and pesto pasta combination dates back to my student days. In my final year I shared a flat that had a tiny kitchen. Although it was the only communal room, this kitchen was too tiny for entertaining. So I ate, slept and entertained in my bedroom which was also small – in fact, very small. When a friend needed a place for a week, she joined me in my small room and each night we would get out the single mattress that lived underneath the single I slept on, and make up her bed. With this wall-to-wall bedding, it was just possible to force the door enough to get to the loo in the middle of the night, but only just! And it was while my friend was staying that she cooked this dish in the tiny kitchen.
With student days a distant memory, my living space may be bigger (thank goodness!) but I still cherish this dish. It combines bacon, pesto and pasta but from time to time I’ve tried it with crème fraîche, aubergine, mushrooms, olives – spinach is especially good – and anything that looks like it would go that happens to be in the fridge. It’s quick and easy to put together and always leaves me feeling I’ve had a decent meal, which is just what’s needed at the end of a long day.
I hope you are all set for a wonderful Easter holiday. We are staying at home, but are off to a friend’s Easter Egg hunt on Saturday – our little one is going to love it. Then on Sunday we are catching up with special cousins. Little else is planned but that feels great because sleep is pretty high on my priority list; some long nights of sleep. At the moment, my voice keeps threatening to disappear and my nose is streaming, and I know sleep will fix me up beautifully. Have a wonderful Easter!
Bacon, spinach, mushroom and pesto pasta
Substitute the bacon for 110g/4oz of toasted pine nuts for a vegetarian alternative.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 200g/7oz pasta
- ½ tbsp oil
- 4 rashers of bacon, roughly chopped
- 150g/5¼oz mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 100g/3½oz fresh spinach
- 3 tbsp pesto
- a handful of basil leaves, torn up
- 30g/1oz parmesan, grated
- freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan cook the pasta according to the instructions on the packet.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the bacon and mushrooms and fry until lightly browned in places, around five minutes. Then wilt the spinach on top.
- Remove from the heat.
- When cooked, drain off the pasta, stir in the pesto and add the bacon, mushrooms and spinach. Add the basil leaves, parmesan, and pepper, stir briefly again and then serve.
- Carbohydrates: 70g