We have some friends who organize the only Cycle Touring Festival in the UK. If cycle touring is your thing – awesome – be sure to check it out. It’s a great weekend of useful information from those who know their stuff, meeting with like minded individuals and getting properly inspired for the next trip. The dates for next year are 26 – 29 May 2017.
Dave was asked to give a talk at the Festival this year and so headed south. I was working that weekend.
Roland of The Unchartered Spice Co. attended the Festival and had heard that I enjoy food. He kindly gave Dave some of his delicious spice mixes for us to enjoy. The Unchartered Spice Co. make their own all natural ingredients spice blends. They make great spice mixes, so you don’t have to. Just rub, scatter or mix the spices in with your food and bingo a mouth watering meal is all ready for you.
The Brazilian Spice Rub is my current favourite. In this recipe I mixed the chicken thighs, potatoes and shallots together with 4 tsp of Brazilian Spice Rub and popped it all into a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Then I added a load of cherry tomatoes and 20 minutes later I served it up with a green veg. That’s it, it’s quick and easy and the spice rub does all the work.
You won’t need any oil. The moment this mixture gets into the oven the chicken skin will produce its own delicious oil, enough for the vegetables.
The Unchartered Spice Co. is currently selling 40g of their Brazilian Spice Rub for £2.30, a complete steal in my view!
Brazilian chicken with shallots and cherry tomatoes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- 4 chicken thighs
- 360g/12oz charlotte potatoes, in 2.5cm/1” chunks – or as many potatoes as the two of you will eat
- 6 shallots, peeled
- 4 tsps of Brazilian spice rub from The Unchartered Spice Co.
- 10 cherry tomatoes
Serve with your favourite green vegetable
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180° fan/395°F/Gas mark 6. Take each thigh and cut away any excess skin and fat but leave a good covering of skin on the outer side. On the outer side, make two deep cuts almost to the bone and at right angles to the bone. Place in a bowl.
- Add to the bowl the potatoes, shallots and Brazilian spice rub and mix well. Make sure the spice mix thoroughly coats everything. Then place in a large roasting tin and cook in the oven for 25 mins.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and baste the chicken, potatoes and shallots, using the juices from the chicken. Now add the tomatoes, shake a little to coat in the juices and then put back into the oven. Roast for another 15 – 20 minutes until the dish is lightly browned. Now serve with your favourite green vegetable.