This ginger and lime ice cream is a rather adult ice cream. The lime is tangy and the crystallised ginger is slightly fiery chunks which keeps the sweetness of the ice cream in check.
This ice cream can be made in an ice cream maker, or using the method detailed below. When time is short I have made this ice cream by just adding the nuts and cranberries into the cream when the maple syrup is added and then putting it in the freezer and leaving it until completely hard before serving it. This gives a slightly different texture, you end up with a harder ice cream, but an equally delicious one.Print
Caribbean crystallised ginger and lime ice cream recipe
This makes 1 litre or 1¾ pt of ice cream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours of freezing
- Total Time: -25893265.983333 minute
- Yield: 8
- 85 g / 3½ oz granulated sugar
- 150 ml / 5 oz water
- 4 egg yolks
- 560 ml / 1 pint double cream
- 5 limes
- ½ lemon
- 150 g / 5 oz crystallised ginger
- Gently heat the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Once the sugar is dissolved, increase the heat and boil for three minutes. Then remove from the heat and allow to cool for one minute.
- In a bowl whisk the egg yolks lightly and then pour in the sugar syrup, stir to combine.
- Whisk the cream with an electric whisk until it reaches the floppy stage. It needs to be thick enough to just hold it’s own shape. Once it reaches this stage fold in the egg yolks.
- Juice the limes and lemon and pour the juice into the cream.
- Pour into a container. Now place it in the freezer for four hours, taking it out after each hour to stir it all up with a spoon this will prevent crystals forming.
- When you take the ice cream out for the last time, stir in the ginger which you have roughly chopped and freeze until needed.
- Carbohydrates: 27g