Chicken and leek pie with sweet potato topping
The sweet potato mash doesn’t brown very much.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 - 6
- 1200g/2lb10oz sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 2½cm/1” chunks
- 2 tbsp oil
- 600g/1lb5oz boneless skinless chicken thighs, about 6, chopped into 1½cm/½” chunks
- 3 leeks, chopped into ½cm/¼“ discs
- 450g/1lb chestnut mushrooms, roughly sliced
- 10g of tarragon, finely chopped
- 300ml double cream
- 100ml white wine
- 25g/1oz butter
Overproof dish roughly measuring 20 cm / 8” x 30 cm / 12” x 5 cm / 2” deep.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/390F/Gas mark 6. Boil or steam the sweet potato until mashable and then drain.
- In a large saucepan heat the oil, add the chicken and stir well. Cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the chicken is cooked – about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon put the chicken onto a plate.
- Into the liquid in the bottom of the saucepan add the leeks, stir well and cook with the lid on for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and tarragon, stir and cook for another 5 minutes without the lid until the mushrooms are cooked. Add the chicken to the mushrooms and then stir in the cream and the white wine. Taste and season. (The alcohol will evaporate in the oven.) Pour into the oven dish.
- Add the butter to the sweet potato and mash. Taste and season. Top the chicken with the mash and put in the oven for 30 minutes. Serve.
For a different pie you can add 100g/3½oz chorizo, chopped into ½cm/¼“ chunks. Just add it with the raw chicken. It gives a lovely orange colour.