Christmas sausage, apricot and thyme palmiers – freezable
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 onion, finely sliced
- 350g/12¼oz sausage meat
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 100g/3½oz dried apricots, roughly chopped into 1cm/ ½” cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 375g puff pastry measuring 35cm x 27cm when rolled out
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and stir well. Keep the lid on and cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or so until the onions are soft and translucent. Remove from the heat.
- In a mixing bowl mix the sausage meat, thyme, apricots and freshly ground pepper.
- On a piece of greaseproof paper, roll out or unroll the pastry 35cm x 27cm.
- Add the onions to the sausage meat mixture and mix. I find my hands are best for this job. Then spread the mixture over the pastry leaving a 1/2cm 2/8” border around the pastry. (Leave the border because the mixture will spread a little). Roll up each long side to the middle so they meet in the middle.
- To freeze, wrap in the greaseproof paper and a layer of clingfilm and place carefully into the freezer.
- To defrost overnight in the fridge. Unwrap and cut the long pastry into 1 cm slices and place on a piece of greaseproof paper on a baking tray. Leave room around each one as they will spread a little.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 200C/180C fan/400F/Gas mark 6 for around 25 minutes or until lightly browned and serve while still warm from the oven.