My Dad and husband both have serious appetites and both enjoy this meal. It’s a filling meal and it’s not a salad that leaves you hoping it was the starter and not the main event.
It’s got hot roast potatoes, carrots and parsnips, fresh green leaves and cherry tomatoes. Then the icing on the salad (if you will) is hot smoked mackerel – salty, smoked and delicious.
This is an easy meal to make. If you can peel some vegetables and pop them in the oven and then mix some dressing components together in a mug you can make this salad. It’s a great mid-week supper.
I’ve made this salad with lots of different sorts of potatoes; everything from generic ‘white’ potatoes to fluffy King Edwards and Charlotte potatoes. King Edwards make ideal roasting potatoes or jacket potatoes, while Charlotte potatoes are sometimes sold as salad potatoes. If I’m using Charlotte potatoes I leave the potatoes whole to roast them. If there is a choice, I wouldn’t use Desiree potatoes since these are only good for creamy mash or dauphinoise. Lastly, when the cupboard has been bare, I have made this salad without the carrots or parsnips, and just compensated by increasing the amount of potatoes a little.Print
Hot mackerel and roast potato salad
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 2
- 560 g / 1 lb 4 oz potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 1 ½ tbsp oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 smoked mackerel fillets
- 14 cherry tomatoes
- 60 g / 2 oz green leaves – spinach, young kale, rocket or your favourite green leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / 400°F / Gas mark 6.
- Chop the potatoes into 2 ½ cm / 1” chunks.
- Peel the carrots and parsnips and chop into similar lengths. Chop the thicker chunks of parsnips in half lengthways.
- Put the vegetables into a large roasting dish. Make sure they aren’t on top of each other, spread over two roasting dishes if needed. Pour the oil over and season well. Using your hands rub the oil and seasoning into all the potatoes, carrots and parsnips. Roast for 40 – 45 minutes until lightly browned.
- While the vegetables roast, divide the green leaves between two plates. Half the cherry tomatoes and put these on top of the leaves.
- Put all the ingredients for the dressing into a mug and mix well.
- Take the skin off the mackerel. Put them onto a small baking tray. Ten minutes before the vegetables are finished put the mackerel in the oven.
- When the potatoes, carrots and parsnips are done divide them between the two plates and pour over most of the dressing. Mix well.
- Break up the mackerel and place on top of each salad, drizzle over the remainder of the dressing and serve.
- Carbohydrates: 70g