This crab, leek and pea risotto is an ideal supper with friends. You can use tinned crab if fresh is hard to find.
I was in a fish shop looking for ideas for dinner. I saw crab that were being sold off at £1 for 175g of brown and white meat, in the shells. I bought two and headed home thinking up this recipe as I went. A plate of creamy risotto is hard to beat on a cold evening. This one would be an ideal supper with friends.
I have since also tried this recipe with tinned crab and it works well. I normally use 3 x 170g tins of crab (drained weight 120g), but for a celebratory meal I increase this to 4 tins.
If you have any left over, this crab, leek and pea risotto makes fantastic arancini. Arancini are balls of risotto with chunks of cheese in the middle, which are coated in flour, egg and breadcrumbs and then deep fried. So so good!Print
Italian crab, leek and pea risotto recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 50 g / 2 oz butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 leek
- 300 g / 10½ oz arborio rice
- 150 ml / ¼ pt dry vermouth or dry white wine
- 1 litre / 1¾ pt vegetable stock
- 150 g / 5 oz petit pois or other peas, frozen is fine
- 350 g / 12 oz of crab meat
- Half a large bunch of flat leaf parsley
- 50 g / 2 oz parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic cloves.
- Heat the butter and oil in a largish pan gently. When the butter is foaming add the onion and garlic and stir.
- Slice the leek into round coin slices and after the onion and garlic have been cooking for about five minutes add the ‘coins’ to the pan. Cook until the leeks are soft and translucent.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with oil. Add the vermouth or wine. Stir.
- Keep stirring until all the wine is absorbed by the rice and then start adding the stock, little by little stirring frequently. Only add more stock when what is in the pan has already been absorbed. Keep going until all the rice is cooked. If you need more liquid just use hot water.
- Stir in the peas they will cook in the hot mixture.
- Stir in the crab meat. Cook for a minute or two.
- Add the parsley followed by the parmesan.
- Season well and serve.
- Carbohydrates: 63g