A punchy fattoush salad which is packed full of flavour. The tangy dressing gives it real guts, while the delicious croutons remove any idea of it being too wholesome.
I first came across this salad in Oman and fell in love with it. It’s a lovely punchy salad which is packed full of flavour. The tangy dressing gives it real guts, while the delicious croutons remove any idea of it being too wholesome.
I often make this salad at the start of the week, I keep the dressing and croutons separately in the fridge and just mix them in to the amount of salad I want to serve. It keeps well.
Similarly if you are looking to feed a large number of people this is a great salad which multiples up easily. I recently fed 20 with it as part of a large meal, just increase the ingredients by 4.
Lebanese fattoush recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 - 6
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 80 g / 3 oz romaine lettuce, baby spinach or another green salad leaf
- ½ cucumber
- 1 red pepper
- 10 radishes
- ½ small onion – red or white
- 2 cloves of garlic
- A large bunch of parsley
- A large bunch of mint
- Juice of a lemon
- 1 tbsp white wine or cider vinegar
- 100 mls / 3 ½ fl ozs olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pitta bread or similar bread – stale is fine
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / 375 F / Gas Mark 5.
- Half the cherry tomatoes and put them in a large salad bowl. Cut up all the other salad ingredients to a similar size, except for the garlic and onion. The onion needs to be finely chopped and the garlic crushed. Mix everything together.
- Open up the pitta bread and separate into two pieces. Brush the pitta on both sides with the mixed oil and sumac. Lie on a baking sheet.
- Place the pitta in the oven for ten to fifteen minutes or until crunchy. Take them out and let them cool before cutting up into small pieces.
- Mix the ingredients for the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well, then add the croutons to the top and serve straightaway.
- Carbohydrates: 19g per 1/4