This leeks, peas and parmesan side dish combines two of my favourite vegetables, leeks and peas with lemon zest, thyme and Parmesan.
I love a pile of leeks which have become creamy, silky and glossy as they’ve cook. Frozen peas or petit pois are the easiest veg around. We get through sacks of petit pois. They are tasty and so sweet.
This dish combines the two with lemon zest, thyme and Parmesan. It’s a beautiful side dish. Perfect with sausages, fish, a roast, a chop, steak, a pile of mash or a fried egg – right now I can’t think of anything savoury you couldn’t serve this with. It’s super easy. If you have never cooked peas like this before, be assured that the steam from the leeks and the peas themselves will cook them perfectly.
Leeks, peas and parmesan
The oil is used to stop the butter from burning, hence just a drizzle is needed.
- Prep Time: 5g
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: -26151692.666667 minute
- Yield: 4
- 25g/1oz butter
- drizzle of oil
- 3 leeks sliced into coins about 5mm/ 1/4″ thick
- 15g fresh thyme, with the leaves removed from the stalks
- 180g/6oz frozen petit pois or peas
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 25g/1oz grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large saucepan or frying pan (which has a lid) over a medium heat, and add the butter and oil. Once melted add the leeks and thyme, stir well and put the lid on the pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, and adjusting the heat so the leeks cooks in their own steam without drying out.
until the leeks are soft.
- When the leeks are soft add the frozen peas and lemon zest to the pan. Stir well and replace the lid.
- After a minute or two, check the peas are cooked and then add the salt, pepper and Parmesan. Stir again and serve.
- Carbohydrates: 5g