This mushroom, leek and thyme gnocchi is a quick and easy dish perfect for a week night supper. It takes just 25 minutes and reheat wells.
After Dave and I got together, there was a time when his work and my uni course meant we lived in different cities. So we spent weekends together and usually at his place in Bristol where he shared a house with two lovely guys. Those were glorious weekends – mini holidays in between long weeks. Dave was actually the least foodie of his housemates, but I remember him cooking good unfussy food. One night he fried up a load of mushrooms and leeks and then added what seemed to me an enormous amount of Boursin, all as a side dish to something else. His mushroom, leek, Boursin dish was delicious – creamy and garlicky. I think I realised then that I didn’t really cook with large amounts of cheese, as I’d always been bought up thinking it wasn’t healthy. Which indeed it isn’t, but as a treat, it makes super delicious food!
This gnocchi recipe takes it’s inspiration from Dave’s side dish. I’ve replaced the Boursin with crème fraîche to give a slightly lighter taste and you will find it still works well with half-fat crème fraîche. So choose whichever. This is an easy and quick supper dish and is perfect for the end of a long day. You fry the garlic, mushrooms and leeks with the thyme, add crème fraîche, grated cheese and cooked gnocchi, season and serve.
Another plus is that this dish keeps and reheats. In preparation for this post, I made it one morning in order to catch midday light for the photo-shoot. I then assumed it would not be too brilliant for our supper later, but it reheated really well.
If you like gnocchi you might also like this gnocchi dish.Print
Mushroom, leek and thyme gnocchi
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300g/10½oz white mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 15g/½oz thyme, remove the leaves from the stalks
- ½ tbsp oil
- 2 leeks, sliced into round coins about 5mm thick
- 500g/1lb1½oz fresh gnocchi
- 30g/1oz mature cheddar, finely grated
- ½ tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 300 ml crème fraîche – full or half fat
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and fry the mushrooms, garlic and thyme until the mushrooms are dark brown and cooked. In a separate saucepan, heat half a tablespoon of oil and, keeping the lid on, gently fry and steam the leaks until they are silky and cooked.
- When the mushrooms and leeks are nearly ready, cook the gnocchi according to the packet’s instructions.
- Add the leeks to the mushrooms and then the cheddar, salt and pepper. Stir in the crème fraîche. Finally, add the cooked gnocchi and stir once more to combine everything well. Check the seasoning, adjust if necessary and serve.
- Carbohydrates: 85g