Pomegranate, mango and pearl barley salad
Replace the feta with vegan cheese to make this salad vegan. The pearl barley could be replaced with (precooked) cracked Bulgar wheat. Simmer in the stock for 8 – 10 minutes and then drain.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 200g pearl barley
- 1 litre of veg stock
- 2 mangoes, skinned and cubed
- 200g feta, crumbled
- 1 pomegranate, seeds of
- 100g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 50g mint, stalks removed and roughly chopped
- Simmer the pearl barley for 25-35 minutes in the stock until cooked but still nutty.
- Drain and then mix in a large bowl with all the remaining ingredients except the mint. Scatter the mint over the top of the salad and serve.
Add salt depending on your palate.
The mint isn’t mixed into the salad as the heat from the pearl barley will discolour it.
This salad is best eaten fresh but will last happily for two days in the fridge.