Pumpkin, parsnip and apple soup
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 1100g/2lb7oz pumpkin, this will yield around 850g/1lb13oz peeled and deseeded pumpkin
- 1100g/2lb7oz parsnip
- 840g/1lb14oz bramley or cooking apples
- 110g/4oz butter
- ½ tbsp oil
- 1 litre/1 pint 16½fl oz vegetable stock
- 300ml/½ pint double cream
- salt and pepper
- Peel and deseed the pumpkin. Chop into 2.5cm/1” cubes.
- Top and tail the parsnips and chop into smaller cubes than the pumpkin.
- In a very large saucepan melt the butter and oil over a medium heat. Once melted add the pumpkin and parsnip, stir well and put the lid on.
- Peel and core the apple and add to the saucepan, stir well.
- Pour over the vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat so the stock simmers away until the vegetables are cooked, about twenty minutes.
- Add in the cream and season well and then heat before serving. (My palate needs about 1 teaspoon salt.)