- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 shortbread
- 2oz/50g butter
- 2oz/50g caster sugar
- 1½oz/40g plain flour
- 1½oz/40g ground almonds
- ½ tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- A large pinch of salt
- Caster sugar
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / 350°F / Gas mark 4.
- Soften the butter in a medium mixing bowl with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Beat in the caster sugar.
- Sift the flour into the mixing bowl. Add the ground almonds, the rosemary, salt and four good grinds of pepper. Mix well.
- Dust a board with caster sugar.
- Pick the dough up with your hands bringing it together into a lump. On the board roll it out to a thickness of 6mm/1/4″.
- Using a 48 mm / 1 7/8 ” cutter cut out discs of dough.
- Lay the discs on a baking sheet. They will expand during cooking so space them out.
- Put into the preheated oven for 12 – 15 minutes until lightly browned just around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with caster sugar. Leave to cool a little and harden on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Continue cooling on a cooling rack and then store in an air tight container. They will last in the container for three to four days.