This smoked salmon, watercress and dill gnocchi can be ready in 11 minutes. It’s an easy, delicious, week night meal.
I enjoy recipes that take time and effort. I love stews that putter away in the oven for hours, dough that needs to rise, salads with ingredients that need to be roasted and then assembled. On a day off or at the weekend, I get serious pleasure from that sort of cooking.
Work nights are a completely different story. Neither Dave not I are good company when we’re tired and hungry. Scratchy, irritable and short tempered would be a better description. We often say to each other as one of us is cooking and the other laying table or sorting drinks, “let’s eat first and then talk about X”. X could be anything – how our day was, the plan for the weekend, or something far more thrilling such as work that needs to be done on the roof! Talking about X before food won’t be a pleasurable experience; after food it’s completely different. We can joke, laugh and plan as grown-up adults, rather than snipe, bitch and throw sarcastic comments about (the sarcastic comments are all mine). So, needless to say, week night food needs to be quick. Ideally it will also be comforting, wholesome and tasty, but speed is the priority!
This Italy-inspired smoked salmon, watercress and dill gnocchi is all of those things. Gnocchi are little pillows of comfort food; watercress brings wholesomeness, iron and other green goodnesses; smoked salmon provides Omega-3 to assist in good brain function; dill, white wine and lemon give the whole dish a zing. As for speed, you’ll be serving-up in 15-minutes or less – I’ve got it down to less than 11!
Here’s a note on gnocchi: Italy’s rich culinary heritage means there are always historic and local variations. And so, gnocchi can be made from semolina, or wheat and potato. I like the wheat and potato ones, but experiment and see which you prefer?
Smoked salmon, watercress and dill gnocchi
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 2
- 500g/1lb 1½oz fresh gnocchi (find them next to fresh pasta in the supermarket), or substitute with pasta
- 300ml crème fraîche, full- or half-fat
- 75ml of dry white wine
- 1 tbsp or 15ml of lemon juice
- 1/8tsp salt
- zest of one lemon
- 25g/1oz fresh dill, large stalks removed and roughly chopped
- 80g/3oz watercress, roughly chopped
- 150g/5oz smoked salmon, roughly chopped
- Cook the gnocchi according to the instructions on the packet.
- Stir the crème fraîche, wine, lemon juice and salt together in another saucepan and heat.
- When hot add the watercress, most of the dill and lemon zest, and stir well.
- Drain the gnocchi, stir in the watercress mixture and 2/3 of the smoked salmon. Divide between two bowls, top with the remaining smoked salmon and scatter on the remaining dill.
- Carbohydrates: 84g