This spiced coconut and green lentil soup is packed full of flavour. It uses an onion & cupboard ingredients – the perfect soup when you have nothing in.
As I type this, it’s a bright sunny day in Edinburgh and so why am I writing about soup? Well yesterday, as I went into town it was chucking it down. The tourists here for the festival were scuttling to their next show. They were all suitably clad in waterproofs as they knew what summer in Scotland can mean. So that’s why – you just never know when a warming soup will be needed, even in August.
On the subject of the festival, we are off to our first show this weekend and while once it would have been edgy comedy, this year we will be (hopefully) laughing at a dog called Hairy McClary along with a packed audience of other toddlers and their families. I’m wondering if, like other festival shows this one can be accompanied by a chilled glass of white wine? But then again, I’m not sure I can pull off the necessary cool look at 10.30 in the morning given a four-month old sleeping on me and a happily hysterical 3-year-old on his dad’s knee beside me.
Forget dreams of chilled wine for the moment Holly, and get back to the matter in hand – fabulous spiced coconut and green lentil soup. For a long time a store cupboard soup has been on my to do list. A soup
● that can be made simply from ingredients in the larder,
● for those moments when you don’t have anything in but want something nourishing and warming,
● that requires minimal input but is tasty, filling and wholesome.
This is that soup!
Can we agree that an onion is a store cupboard ingredient? I think it is. As onions last a good long time, it’s easy for one to be forgotten in the veg basket. It sits there in its unappreciated state and then when nothing else surrounds it, you pluck it out and it becomes the first step in creating spiced coconut and green lentil soup. This soup is a fragrant rather than hot spicy soup. The coriander, cumin, nutmeg and cinnamon provide flavour and warmth. The green lentils give bulk and the coconut milk adds creaminess.Print
Spiced coconut and green lentil soup
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2½ tsp ground coriander
- 2½ tsp ground cumin
- 1¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 225g/8oz green/puy lentils
- 2 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 400g coconut milk
- 500ml hot water
- In a saucepan with a lid heat the oil. When hot add the onion and stir well. After a minute add all the spices and stir to combine. Cook over a medium heat with the lid on until the edges of the onions begin to go transparent.
- Add in the coconut milk, stock and green lentils and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and cook until the lentils are soft – about 20 minutes. Blend with a stick blender and serve. That’s it!
You could replace the vegetable stock powder and hot water with 500ml of vegetable stock.