Sultana, apricot and walnut cookies
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 20 cookies
- 225g/8oz butter
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 350g/12oz self-raising flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- pinch of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 145g/5oz sultanas
- 110g/4oz walnuts, roughly chopped
- 170g/6oz dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 2 lemons, zest only
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/375°F/Gas mark 5.
- In a large bowl beat the butter well until it’s soft and then beat the sugar into the butter. Continue to beat the mixture until it’s creamy, soft and light yellow. This may take two minutes with an electric mixer.
- Beat the eggs in a little at a time, and continue to beat until it’s all combined.
- In a separate bowl sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice. Add in the dried fruit, the nuts, the lemon zest and mix until it’s all combined.
- Mix the butter mixture with the flour mixture well. Spoon 20 balls of the mixture onto baking trays. Split any remaining mixture between the 20 balls. Flatten the balls a little with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until they are lightly browned. Leave on the tray for five minutes to firm up a little before you transfer to a cooling rack.