These sun dried tomato cheese straws are moreish, attractive little sticks to wet your appetite. Straight from the oven, with a cold drink, they are tough to beat. The tangy pesto with splashes of sun dried tomato works well with the salty, creamy cheese.
Unroll the pastry, spread on the pesto, throw over some grated cheese, and you are pretty much there. These are not tricky to make. They will take about ten minutes to put together if you’re chatting to guests at the same time. Pop them in the oven and eight minutes later you will be enjoying them. They are ideal with drinks while you wait for the main course to finish cooking in the oven.
Both my roast parsnip and olive and parmesan tarts use puff pastry. I buy pre- rolled pastry weighing 375 g, but each recipe only uses 2/3 of the packet. These straws are a great way to use up that left over pastry. Some pastry, some pesto and some cheese and salt and pepper and you have a winning little canapé. I make three per person to go with drinks before a meal. If they are for a drinks party you would probably want more.Print
Sun dried tomato straws recipe
If you have any straws left over they will store well for a few days, once completely cold, in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 14 straws
- 100 g / 3 ½ oz pre-rolled puff pastry measuring 24 cm x 10 cm / 9 ½ “ x 4”/ rolled out to thickness of 3 mm / 1/8 “
- 1 tbsp sun dried tomato pesto
- 25 g / 1 oz hard cheese, Parmesan or mature cheddar work well
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / 395°F / 6 Gas mark.
- Place the pastry on a large piece of greaseproof paper.
- Spread the red pesto over the pastry with a knife or spatula.
- Finely grate the cheese and sprinkle it over the pesto, season with a pinch of salt and a good grinding of pepper.
- Chop the pastry into 14 lengths, just under 2 cm / ¾ “ wide.
- Press the cheese down into the pesto and then twist each length of pastry 180°, as shown in the photo above place on the baking paper.
- Bake in the oven for 8 – 10 minutes or until cooked and serve.
- Carbohydrates: 3g per straw