Sweet potato, cherry tomato and coconut soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 - 6
- 650g cherry tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 750g sweet potato, peeled and cut into 2.5cm/1” cubes
- 50g ginger, peeled and finely diced or grated
- 3 tbsp oil
- 200ml hot water
- 500ml chicken stock
- 200g creamed coconut, grated
- salt and pepper
to serve – optional
- fresh coriander, chopped
- roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C/390°F/Gas mark 6. Put the cherry tomatoes in a roasting tin with 1 tbsp oil drizzled over them and a sprinkling of salt. Put the tomatoes in the oven.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan and when hot add the onion, stir well and put the lid on. Sweat for 3 minutes and then add the sweet potato and ginger. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the hot water, stock and grated creamed coconut and bring to the boil. When the sweet potato is tender or after 25 minutes roasting in the oven takes the cherry tomatoes out and add them to the soup. Stir well and cook for another minute or two. Then turn the heat off.
- Using a stick blender blend the soup to your preferred consistency. Check the season and adjust to your palate. Serve with coriander and seeds.