Caramelised apple and banana crumble
Like all crumbles, this is great reheated the following day. Just cover with foil and put in the oven at 170C for 25 minutes.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 125g flour
- 80g butter
- 80g sugar
- 15g/1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 40g butter
- 30g/2 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 large bananas, weighing about 330g, peeled and chopped into 2½cm/1” chunks
- 4 apples, weighing about 525g, peeled, cored and chopped into 2cm/3/4″ chunks
Custard, cream, ice cream, yoghurt or crème faîche to serve.
- Set the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
- First make the crumble topping. Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs and then stir in the sugar. Alternatively put the flour, butter and sugar in a food processor and process until a breadcrumb-like mixture appears.
- Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper and spread the topping over the paper. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and then stir in the sugar until dissolved. Keep stirring to ensure it doesn’t burn. Add the banana and stir to coat all in the melted butter. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes or until soft all through. Spoon the banana into your crumble dish. Add the apple to the saucepan and stir again to coat the fruit in the remaining butter. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 – 7 minutes until it’s soft too. Mix the apple in with the banana in the crumble dish.
- Once the crumble topping is lightly browned spoon it over the fruit. Scatter the Demerara sugar over the crumble and put in the oven for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve.