This is one of those meals that take ten minutes to prepare and then you pop it in the oven and pretty much forget about until it’s ready. It’s warm and comforting, ideal for cold winter nights. It’s also great for December when, if you are like me, you have lots to do and taking time preparing supper isn’t possible.
The peppers and red onion caramelise. The potatoes are roasted in the sausage fat and the sausages take on the optional chilli kick from the flakes. The cherry tomatoes are sweet little explosions in your mouth.
I like to serve this with buttery wilted spinach. The freshness of the spinach goes beautifully with the roasted vegetables and sausages. This is a filling meal. Dave and I find we can quite happily eat it all between us. If you are slightly less greedy and/or you are following it with a pudding, I would think it would feed three easily.Print
Winter sausage roast
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 2-3
- 1 tbsp oil
- 6 sausages
- 400g/14oz Charlotte or new potatoes, or another potato
- 1 red onion
- 1 yellow or red pepper
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 14 cherry tomatoes (weighing about 225g/8oz)
One large roasting tin or oven dish
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/ 200°C fan/ 425°F / gas mark 7.
- Put the oil in the roasting tin or oven dish and add the sausages.
- Use a sausage to spread the oil about to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Chop the potatoes to roughly 2.5cm/1″ chunks.
- Peel the onion and cut it into eighths.
- Deseed the pepper and again chop roughly into 2.5cm/1″ chunks.
- Add the potatoes, onions and peppers to the sausages. Sprinkle the chilli flakes and oregano over everything. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper. I find the sausages don’t need any extra seasoning. Then mix everything up with your hands.
- Put the dish in the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes add the tomatoes to the dish and put back in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- If you are going to serve buttery wilted spinach too, use the last 5 minutes to wilt the spinach so it’s ready when the Winter Sausage Roast is lightly browned.
- Carbohydrates: 44g per 1/2